Subject: Re: FLASH: Differences in Flash Players (Netscape/IE) Documented Anywhere?
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:17:29 GMT

People have asked about differences in Flash Players by browser.

It is true that we don't have much in the way of documentation on this. We haven't broken down features by browser before.

We do have a TechNote pending that breaks down the browsers by platform and explains general Flash differences in host applications.

Examples:

>Internet Explorer 4.5 for Macintosh does not support sending variables using POST from a Get URL action
>
>WebTV currently supports Flash 2 SWF format.
>
>Real's RealFlash currently supports Flash 2 SWF format.

Also, a grid to help people understand which browsers/platforms support JavaScript or VBScript detection.

As you can see, this is mainly meant as a reference guide to information that is already available in other places. It does not expose any additional player differences.

I don't develop the players, so I can't speak for the engineers or people who assemble the bits. But, I can say from a support standpoint that we don't treat the players differently by browser.
Theoretically, a Flash Player should theoretically treat your movie the same whether it's in NN or IE.

That said, I can state the obvious here:

-a plug-in and an ActiveX control are two different files
-a plug-in and an ActiveX control are two different technologies
-release versions (4.0r7 through 4.0r26) of the Flash Player have different "characteristics" (work with me now)
-there could possibly be differences in how browsers implement the Flash Player.

Perhaps I'm missing what people are asking here, but if a movie is behaving differently in one browser than the other, try to help us on this list see your problem better. For testing purposes, it may
be a good idea to use the same release version of the Flash Player (install the 4.0r7 files from your Flash 4 > Players folder) with your movie to see if this discrepancy exists here. Test it on other
machines.

If you think you've found something that has *steps for anyone to reproduce*, post it here. If you own Flash and have a valid support license, call Tech Support.

-Matt

Matt Wobensmith
Macromedia Tech Support
Flash Team Lead