Subject: Re: FLASH: ULTIMATE IE & Netscape Flash Detection Script?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:07:48 GMT

At 7:18 AM 2/15/0, John Brzys wrote:
> Let the user decide. I hate being redirected to flash sites
> automatically just because I have the plugin installed.

That's an excellent point... just because someone *can* view rich content
does not imply that they will always wish to view it.

Not all browsers will tell JavaScript what they can do. The old Shockwave
trick or using a META-REFRESH has subsequently been adapted to Flash and is
useful for many sites. But you can't always predict the visitor's desires.

Notice the Macromedia splash page... it uses cookies to remember your last
choice, but always provides an override to let the visitor jump to the
other set of pages. (This came in very handy for me once when my mouse
broke... I could TAB among the links and hit RETURN to jump to the
plaintext site.)

different than actually controlling all visitors.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...