Subject: Re: FLASH: Site Check Please www.awsolution.com
From: Hal Medrano
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:18:22 GMT

Hi Cheri,

>Hi, to everyone:
>
>I guess I'm ready for critiques on my portfolio:
>
>www.awsolution.com
>
>Please let me know any and all problems, concerns, comments. Some things
>I'm mainly worried about are:
>
>1. Is there too long a wait for the samples after you pick one?

Viewed over a T1 line (through a firewall), I had no probs with any of the
links, but I'm probably not your average user.

>2. Three of the samples open new windows...is this confusing?

I personally am a fan of pop-up windows, so no, I had no probs.

>3. Is the navigation clear enough?

In a word, no. I think you need to spell out exactly what each of these
buttons leads to. There're just too many sections to spell it out with
mouseovers; I need to see the labels all at once so I can get an overview
of your content.

I also think separating the nav on the home page so some of it is on the
left and some at the top is not great UI design. I'm cool with using side
nav to get to a section and then top buttons to navigate sub-sections, but
I want a home page that puts the nav in one place and makes clear where
everything is.

I would combine some of your sections into fewer top-level choices. In
other words, how about a section called "Sites", and then "Traditional" and
"all-Flash" sites could be sub-links off the Sites section. How you decide
to do this is up to you, but I personally believe you need to make
top-level nav simpler and more intuitive. On the plus-side, I do like the
interface from a graphical perspective, but not entirely from a UI
perspective.

>4. Did I forget any platform on my detection scripting? (Did everyone see
>it?)

Had no probs viewing with Netscape 4.7 and IE 4.5 on a MacG3.

Hope you don't mind the direct critique. Graphically, there's a lot of
good stuff here. I just want to find it more easily.

Cheers!

Hal

Hal Medrano
New Media Group