Subject: Re: [flasher] RE: Is there a way to check the online status froman e xe without the error dialog?
From: Andries van der Leij
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:38:48 -0000

Thanks for tour reply paul. this is quite a usefull script but it is not
what I was looking for. Forgive me if I wasn't clear:

The user is ALWAYS using an exe. The whole app is a presentation with
animations, sound etcetera. I just want to add some dynamic elements to it
using a link to the internet:

My client can change the content of a "news.txt" file whenever or better:
he can add data to a "news" database recordset using a web form. every time
the user pushes the "news" button he sees the latest news content loaded
into a field. This way my client can keep (a part of) his nice CD-ROM
presentation fairly up-to-date without having to hire us to add new content
every time he thinks that's neccesary...

I want to load data into the exe from an online database or even a .txt
file. The problem with the standalone flash player is that when it gets a
command to load (variables from) an URL and the loading fails (when the user
is not online) it prompts the user with an irritating error dialog box like
you get with the online flash version that tries to load a "broken" link:

"The attempt to load "http://someserver/somefile.html" failed. "

And the user must push the OK button to get rid of this dialog box.

I want to check the online status (the user is connected to the internet at
the time that he is using the exe) WITHOUT the risk that he is prompted with
that annoying dialog box so that the projector can do one thing when he is
online and another when he isn't.

I know that there are more Flashers that had the same problem and I would be
very glad with a solution.

Thanks!

Andries van der Leij