Subject: Re: [flasher] Linkage -> Export this symbol causes an undesireably large first keyframe
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:31:53 -0000

James,

The only way I can think of around this is to create a separate movie
whose only function is to preload the main movie into, say, level1
(meaning that you'd have to use _framesloaded instead of getBytesLoaded
since I think the latter is reserved for movieclips, but I'm not
positive -- that's just what the manual says). So:
frame 1: loadMovie("realmovie.swf",1);
frame 2: if (_level1._framesloaded > 1) { // check for externals
loaded
_level1.gotoAndPlay(2); // run actual movie
}
frame 2-whatever: looping preloader

Maybe someone has come up with a better way to deal with this -- it
would be great to hear if so, since it's a fact that all exported
symbols (and sounds) are loaded in frame 1 (because Flash doesn't know
when they'll be needed) and so this must be an issue for many people who
use attached clips and sounds.

Regards,
Helen
1240 Flash Answers from 424 people: http://i-technica.com/flashlist