Subject: Re: FLASH: Interactive cd rom help needed, please...
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:06:07 GMT

At 08:35 PM 12/31/98 -0700, you wrote:
>1) If we are not going to use our creation on the web, do we still need to
>worry about these issues? Some of our animations are very complex and cpu
>intensive; sometimes 30-40 animated objects all moving at once and we have
>had some problems with maintaining fps. Any suggestions?
>2) If we put the finished product into a shockwave player to run
>independently on the cd rom, are there any special considerations that we
>need to be aware of?
>3) Can we utilize audio (voice and music) from a source other than flash and
>easily get flash to interact with the third party software? Or do we need
>to use a program like director, etc. to bring this all together and
>accomplish this?
>Thanks again,
>((-; Kathy

Hi Kathy:

Flash's ability to playback complex animation is definitely limited by the
user's processor power. I've seen dramatic differences in playback of
fairly simple animation on a PII-300 versus a P166. processor speed, video
RAM, CPU RAM, all factor into this. Adding lots of audio will tie up more
processor power, too.

I would say that Director is the tool of choice for what you seem to want
to do. If using Director 6.5 you can embed Flash2. With Director 7 you
can utilize Flash 3. In addition to Flash, you can use lots of bitmaps and
you can stream high-quality sound with few or no glitches.

Marc Hoffman