Subject: RE: FLASH: Getting vector 3d logo rotations into Flash
From: SOHH
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:02:51 GMT

There has to be a program out there that goes from 3D to vector. I came across
this 3D flash site and this looks too smooth to be traced. It must be some low
budget program. For years I had been using Ray Dream Studio to make 3D stuff
then I came across hash.com, purchased Animation Master and make better
3D objects.

http://www.nrg.be/
After it loads up click on the NRG logo. A menu will pop up. Click on
Fun Stuff. Then click the arrow pointing right (on the middle side) and
you'll see what I'm talking about. The way it spins and gets faster in
certain parts looks too good to be traced.

Tell me what you think.

Steven

At 12:56 PM 1/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Stephen,
>
>The general consensus is that Matinee rendered the individual frames of
>their logo spinning in 3D Studio Max, imported them into flash and then
>traced them by hand, using Flash generated gradients. There is practically
>no good way to get around it. there is a good tutorial on this method at
>http://www.manoone.com .
>
>You can also try with Adobe Dimensions which lets you do some limited
>modeling and then export the file as an AI or EPS. However, the files that
>Dimensions generates are not good to import directly into flash. What I did
>is I opened them in Illustrator, deleted all the gradients, duplicate lines,
>and anything else until all that was left was an outline of the object.
>Then take the lines you have left and turn it into a compound line. Save it
>as something else. Then import BOTH sequences into Flash, align them to
>each other and use the old sequence as a guideline to fill in the gradients
>for each frame. Then delete the old sequence. This method is basically the
>same as the hand-trace method, I just used Illustrator to create the
>outlines for me.
>
>What I made was a spinning letter N, 36 frames. When I imported the
>sequence directly from Dimensions the file size was around 75K, way to big.
>Once I put the frames through Illustrator and then recreated the gradients
>in Flash, the size dropped to about 16K, and it looked much better.
>
>If you would like to compare the two:
>http://www.noramdigitalmedia.com/n2/3dnsample.htm 75K
>http://www.noramdigitalmedia.com/n2/3dnsample2.htm 16K
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>pete clark
>noram digital media :: a new media firm
>
>peteatnoramdigitalmedia [dot] com
>http://www.noramdigitalmedia.com
>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to export 3d object rotations into flash as vectors?
>>> I'm thinking of the Matinee logo featured on the
>>> www.matinee.co.uk site. The
>>> site credits suggest that the rotating objects were all created
>>> in 3dStudio
>>> Max and then somehow ported over into to Flash.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help? This one's had me beat for ages.
>>>
>>> Stephen Duck.

SOHH