Subject: Re: FLASH:(OT)A word about tutorials(OT)
From: Chrissy Rey
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 18:02:43 GMT

>But also let me set an example for you. Say I walked into your Zoo and said
I was a professional Orangutan handler. I dont have a degree in the field,
but lets say Ive seen alot of pictures of orangutans and told you I had been
around them before. Would you
>leave your Orangutans in my care?

When I first started working at the zoo, I had NO experience working with
orangs, gorillas, gibbons, etc... (I worked in the ape house *grin*). I
mean, how many people are born with the experience you need to take care of
wild animals that can rip your arm off? I had to *learn* how to do it.
Someone had to teach me. After I learned how to do it, I taught OTHER
people how to do it :) Plus, I didn't have a degree in the field when I
started working there... I had an interest in it, and wanted to get some
experience, so I volunteered my time in exchange for the experience.

>After you graduated with a Zoology degree, did you think it was beneficial
to you or to your professional future that you still spent
>your time with people who just wanted to play around with Orangutans? Now
we know theres absolutely nothing wrong with people who want to play around
with Orangutans(or is there?), but wouldnt it be more fair to you to extend
your
>studies and seek an elite group in the field?

Actually, once I got my degree, I still didn't know it all. I still had a
LOT of learning to do, and I knew that interacting with other people
interested in the same work would only be beneficial to my own professional
growth. Maybe it's just me, but I find that the best way to learn something
is to be able to clearly explain it to someone else. I found that talking
to people with widely varying degrees of experience in the field kept me not
only up-to-date on the latest theories/studies/etc, but also kept my
perspective fresh :)

I'd have to say that the same things could easily carry over to Flash use.
Even an experience Flash-user will probably NEVER know all there is to know
about using the program. The experience of others can help you learn a heck
of a lot, even the experience of "newbies" :) Heck, I had only used Flash
for about one month when people started emailing me directly for help on
making CDs with Flash (part of why I started working on Flashlite.net!). I
was such a newbie, but I had some knowledge that more experienced users
wanted/needed :)

If you're looking for a forum that only includes "professional Flash
developers" you'd still get people in there who *consider* themselves
professional, while you may think that they're just hacks. Good luck in
your search, and in the meantime keep the delete option running on any
topics that don't look useful to you.

Chrissy Rey