Subject: FLASH: smaller gif makes swf larger?
From: Chris Burke
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:59:01 GMT

Hi all.

I am making a Flash movie that includes alot of bitmaps and so I did a
little experimenting with image compression. Since the final images are
Jpegs, I was curious to see how much compressing files _before_ importing
into Flash did to save file size in the swf. I was very surprised to find
the following:

original gif saved from photoshop with no extra compression- 60k
same gif after compression in Gif Builder- 34k

Okay that much makes sense but then look what happens after importing these
files into 2 identical Fla files and then exporting the swf's:

swf containing 60k photoshop gif- 17k
swf containing 34k Gif Builder gif- 26K

The smaller gif made a larger swf. Why would would that be? I left all the
export dialog settings at default (Jpeg quality = 50.) Anyone have an
explanation for this? Is there a better way to save file size with bitmaps?

/Chris