Subject: Re: FLASH: Ie 4.5 for Mac
From: John Dowdell
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:43:33 GMT

At 6:31 PM 1/15/99, Charlene Reese wrote:
> I thought Flash was supposed to be standard equipment by now but it
> isn't in this scenerio.

All downloadable Netscape browsers come installed with Flash, and all new
Macs and PCs either have Flash and Shockwave preinstalled or on their
operating system CD.

While the Microsoft browser CDs tend to have Shockwave and Flash, the
Microsoft browser downloads present these as an option.

> I read the tech note about IEMac not being plugin-detectable so what
> is the answer?

It's true that IE/Mac does not have a useful navigator.plugins object
accessible to JavaScript, and because ActiveX Controls are practically
confined to Windows there's also no use of the "CreateObject()" VBScript
function. Therefore it's difficult to make things easy for IE/Mac users.

You may wish to include a Flash file and have a "if you can't see the
animation" link.

jd

Public discussions have first claim on support time; but private email
is available via Priority Access: http://www.macromedia.com/support/