Subject: Re: FLASH: 2B continued
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:03:58 GMT

Hi Savio,
> I would like to hear from you of any comment about my new site: 2B - Internet Comics.

It's coming along nicely.

A couple of things that bothered me though...

The scrolling text. (Evil Seed) Please do it some other way.
It's hard to read because it's too jumpy, and by auto-scrolling you are making an assumption that the audience reads at your predetermined rate. This rate will also vary on different systems. Why not allow the user to scroll it instead? Or break it up into slides with next & prev buttons?

WebTV did a study that concluded that the audience can absorb the information better if it is presented in smaller chunks, and they only have to focus on one idea at a time. They tend to drop out when presented with long scrolling text.

Also, when you pop up a movie in a new window, why not park the animation in the first window (the one with the spinning earth). It still continues to play even though it is not the top window, and this slows down animation in the new window, causing delays even in button mouseovers.

I'm not sure why you are opening a new window anyway, instead of using load movie. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to using multiple windows here.

On your loading page, you have animated text that says to be patient while it loads, but it doesn't start loading until you hit the "Story" button. Some people people might get confused because your animated message implies that something is happening (loading). Why not just start automatically loading immediately? Also, the hit area for those buttons might include the text of the button as well, and not just the little graphic.

You have the author's bio button on the character pages, but if pushed, and looked at, when finished (back) you go back to the loading screen of the character movie, forcing a reload, which at 845k, will irritate some people. Why not pop up the bio MC in a layer above the character movie?

The character graphics are very nice. Will you be doing them in vector eventually? Because of the complexity of the graphics, I'm not sure a vector would reduce the filesize over a pict, in fact it might be larger, but it might be worth to try it with one of them.

All in all, it's coming along nicely, and I look forward to the launch.

Good luck with your venture! I think there's a big future in Flash-based internet comics. When you're ready, why not submit this to ShockRave.com?

/wayne

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Farmersville/Princeton, Texas
waynetattopher [dot] net

------------------------------------------------------------------------ To UNSUBSCRIBE send: unsubscribe flasher in the body of an email to list-manageratshocker [dot] com. Problems to: owneratshocker [dot] com N.B. Email address must be the same as the one you used to subscribe. For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com