Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash loading problems (begging on my knees now) OT
From: Byron Canfield
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:46:44 GMT

Personally, I have no problem with the human form. I'm almost as far from
prudish as one can be (not quite, but almost). However, I respect the right
of others to maintain their own standards, and foremost, I'm sensitive to
people whose livelihoods are, to varying degrees, held hostage by the
"moral" (for lack of a better term) standards of their employers.

Though I mostly work at home, I have one client, now, for whom I work at
their office as an hourly contract employee. It is a huge company, and, as
such, they have established quite rigid standards regarding sexual
harassment, which includes the public display of any type of material that
could be considered offensive across a broad spectrum of society. This
includes display of nude figures or even suggestive images on computer
screens. Had I been THERE, and brought up your URL, though I would not have
been summarily terminated, if anyone else had witnessed my viewing of those
pictures and lodged a complaint, the company would have immediately begun
an investigation. I have no doubt that, circumstances explained, it would
have come to nothing, but just coming under investigation would be unsettling.

When I first saw your site, several days ago, I was not in any way offended
by it. I was surprised that your initial post bore no disclaimer about the
content, but that was all.

But when the complaint arose from a user who participates in the list via a
computer at his place of employment expressing concern and requesting that
you post such a disclaimer, you cavalierly passed it off as unimportant.

At 02:58 PM 1/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Rusty, you said you're young and I believe it because I remember thinking

>the same stuff when I was young. However, here is what you'll probably
>figure out by the time your 30..... NOBODY CARES, and if they DO care it's
>just an excuse to brow beat people!

Lest Rusty get misled, Al, you're just plain wrong. If nobody cared, nobody
would have said anything. And regarding the brow beating, all that does is
indicate paranoia on your part.

>Let me put it in English...

And now you're implying that Rusty is a stupid foreigner. Gee, that's sure
sensitive.

>When
>somebody says something along the lines of, "you said a big, mean naughty
>word and it hurt me." OR "I'm going to lose my job because the fashion
>photography URL you sent me to showed a boobie," it's not for real.

You are not in a position to judge either of the above, unless, by some
miracle, you've discovered some form of mental telepathy (for the former)
or you have access to a photographic recall of the policies of the
companies for whom these people work (for the latter).

>It's
>just a tool this guy uses in social situations to whip on people. I've
>never met a "sensitive" person who was a delicate, little flower.

Sensitive does not equate to effeminate, though it is somewhat
understandable from your demonstrated LACK of sensitivity that you would
have difficulty with the definition of sensitive. As far as you having
never met a sensitive person, maybe you should get out more.

>In fact
>they are usually the butt kickers who push other's around.

In my experience (and I'm NOT just a kid -- to which my daughter will
attest), many people presume other people's motivations are the same as
their own. Perhaps when YOU complain about such things, your motivation is
based in a desire to push others around, but that does not mean that others
complaints are so motivated.

>Why? Because it
>doesn't take long for bullies to realize that phony sensitivity is one of
>the most powerful tools around.

And just how would you know that?

>The next time you see someone complain
>about being offended just watch how delicate and sensitive they really are.

I did not see a single complain here about anyone being offended by the
content (though I must confess I feel a considerable degree of offense at
your poor manners). The only issue raised concern of potential job
termination due to inadvertent violation of company policies regarding
internet use, a violation caused by your inconsiderate action.

>giving warning messages in the future anyway & stoppin this message stream
>RIGHT darned now,

So it should be. Make it so.