Subject: Re: FLASH: A teacher replies to Cheri et al.
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:28:36 GMT

See, I knew you could do it! You have all the tools at hand and you teach
it already. You could be the one to make the "basic" tutorials! What? You
don't have time to do it for free? :-) That is what I really meant that to
be my
point, through all of that previous post. Bash MM if you want (no-one
personally, of course), but the rest of the stuff is gratis.

Some programmers figured some ways around the limitations of Action Script
and
devised ways to make it work (in ways it was not intended, as Eric was
saying) and created some pretty fantastic programs and games. They could do
this because they are programmers already. I don't think they _owe_
anybody else an explanation of how they figured it out at all, and I always
appreciate the time it takes to shoot out even some hints as to how they got
there. I certainly don't think they owe the public the time it would take
to thoroughly explain all the intricities(sp?) of how they did it. I
know, that wasn't your point, Tom, because you are just asking for the
basics to be explained, and I do think that is a BIG shortcoming on MM's
part. But some users seem to think that because they can't make
actionscript dynamically draw 3D cellular diagrams, that Branden OUGHT to
provide a tutorial.

I am very very lacking in the artistic/drawing area of Flash. I don't see
any "open the program...draw a line from two inches below top left to 3
inches above bottom right..." kind of things to teach me how to draw, on the
Flash resource pages. I go elsewhere for that kind of basic information. I
guess that is what I'm trying to say. Get the basic programming information
elsewhere. Pay for classes or books or find free tutorials. The
information is there. How to add it to Flash is MM's responsibility, not
the geeks (we had to pay to learn how to be geeks, too!) And I really
really don't mean to sound like a stingy person, I love to help. I just
don't have that kind of time. Besides, like Eric said, the functionality
has only been around for 6 months, and we are continually learning new ways
to use it. Give it some time, and the free tutorials will likely get
better.

Just please remember, they are free. And please know that I am not taking
this OR making my comments as a personal attack, honest!!!!

(some of us geeks were born in the 40's, too! <shudder>)
~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~

flasher is generously supported by...