Subject: Re: FLASH: A teacher replies to Cheri et al�
From: Waldo Smeets
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:13:44 GMT

Hi Julie and others,

first off all I need to say that this is a very interesting discussion. I think I
can contribute in it by explaining how I learned actionscript basics.

I'm not a programmer at all, and nor a graphics designer. For 6 months ago a knew
about Flash 3 and did some little things in it, but i didn't use it cause I'm not
that kind of guy that's interested in design. I just work 8 hours a week as an
HTML-standin at our company, and I did a little javascript (merely form checking
etc) last year. When I read about Flash 4 and ActionScript I immediately downloaded
the demo from mm and started playing with it. For me Actionscript is a combination
of html structures and javascript structures. The "Tell Target" functionality
reminds me off a simple web server directory structure (directory up ../, directory
down /), all the other basics are very similiar to javascript basics. Off course the
language isn't the same, but for me the basics are (and i think that that are the
basics of programming).

I would recommend a good book called "Javascript for beginners" or something like
that. It won't be a waste off time cause javascript can always be used by someone.
To be honest, I haven't read any Flash 4 books yet (still waiting for JC's book), so
perhaps they better suite your wishes. But if you know the programming basics, you
can find out how most of the files presented at totorial sites work. That's how I
learned all that stuff!

To see what I learnt in this way:

http://members.xoom.com/wesp/sonique.html
and