Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash and iCab
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:48:47 GMT

At 10:55 AM 1/25/0, Stacy Westbrook wrote:
> Does anyone know if Macromedia has plans to release Flash
> and Shockwave players for iCab?

Usually alternative browsers choose to follow one of the established
extension mechanisms. That's why Opera has some support for Netscape
plugins, why NeoPlanet can use ActiveX Controls, etc.

Going to the iCab site, hitting their FAQ and searching on "plugin" reveals
a comment about QuickTime 4 and "We'll have to implement plugins in one of
the next previews of iCab", so it sounds like that browser doesn't offer
plugin support yet.

(NB: Opera supports some-but-not-all Netscape plugins... last I checked
they tested fine with Flash content, but didn't have the depth required for
Shockwave content.)

Another way of looking at it: The Flash Players can be implemented in
various platform-specific source methods (Mac, Win, Linux, Palm, etc), and
then there are various access wrappers that can be put around these engines
(plugin-style, control-style, etc).

jd