Subject: Re: FLASH: Newer Netscape plugin breaking ASP access?
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:31:13 GMT

Hello all -

We're having some problems with the Search features of our TechNotes. The
Search field on the Flash Support Center can be used, but does not return a
full list of matches. Also, using the "go" method and the TechNote ID number
yields a 404 not found. Hopefully, this will be fixed shortly. This just
started happening and I'm sure it'll be fixed just as quickly.

RE: ASP. Two people have are having questions about this.

-Netscape and Load Variables. I know of no reason why Netscape, with the
Flash 4 Player, could not load variables unless the data source is hosted on
a different domain. If so, check out this TechNote:

Load Variables from a data source on another domain is not working
14213

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/loadvars_security.htm

If you can't send data from the movie to the ASP file, check this out
(although it's unrelated to above):

Attempts to send data from a Flash movie to a server are not working
14234
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/ampersand.htm

-ASP, CGI, ColdFusion - all of these work fine with Flash. While ASP may not
be mentioned in every context as CGI is talked about, they all relay info to
Flash just fine. As long as the data is in URL Form-Encoded format and the
name/value pairs are delineated by ampersands (see p. 183 in the Flash 4
manual), this can be done. It is not necessary to write a text file for
this, as the Flash movie is capable of communicating with the ASP page (or
whatever) directly. A good example of this is in your Flash 4 folder, in the
Sample Pages > Chat folder.

If you can read data from text files but not ASP, it may be a
timing/scripting issue in Flash. I'm not able to say in any case what's not
working in your project, but text files are static. Using an ASP page and
calls from Flash requires planning to make sure the values are returned in
time to use them.

-Matt
Matt Wobensmith
Macromedia Tech Support