Subject: Using Framesets
From: Craig Ferrante
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:49:13 +0100

I thought this might be of interest to the flash list concerning the
topic of Frames or not
to Frame questions-I found it in one of my Submitting programs help
file.

FRAMES: You may be interested to know that the AltaVista spider (at
least as of this writing) will not follow links that are in frames. This
means that if your opening page is created with frames, then the spider
will find absolutely nothing else on your site and you will seriously
limit your exposure to people doing searches for you unless you submit
each secondary page manually.

If you wish to use frames, a good idea is to put in fake links in the
<NOFRAMES> section.

Insert a link such as <A HREF="my_other_page.htm">Click here</A> should
work. Since it won't appear on your page, no one can accidentally click
on it. However, the spider will be able to follow it. Support for frames
may have been added by now, but it may still pose a problem with other
engines. Therefore, better safe than sorry.

Craig Ferrante
meanrabbit.com