Subject: Re: AW: MIME Warning (was: Re: FLASH: Eclipse)
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:05:15 +0100

At 04:47 AM 7/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
>What is MIME anyway? Everybody keeps discussing it, but I've never heard of
>it. And is there a way of checking if MIME is set on the server you will be
>uploading your movie to?

MIME is a method by which a server tells a non-active x browser what sort
of content is being delivered. To do this, the server must be configured to
know what the MIME Type is for various types of content, identified by
their file name extensions.

A quote from John C. will get you on the road to understanding everything
you need to know, including how to check that MIME has been set for Flash:

"Note, it is easy to check the MIME youself and
there are two ways to check it from your desktop:
1)http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/mimetype_check.htm
2) The second way is a special set of test files to upload to your
server to make it quick and easy to keep checking the MIME while you are
waiting for the administrator to set the MIME.
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Server/MIME_Test.htm"

Best wishes,

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.