Subject: Re: FLASH: Blistering Critique requested
From: Roger Smith
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:51:43 +0100

make it fit in 800 x 600 window with all toolbars

get rid of the sans serif text (arial or helevetica i think), it's a
tacky font

keep your text from flowing loosely over the screen. contain it some how
and perhaps use verdana for you screen font, it looks great onscreen.

the ship looks clean, but give it some style, at the moment it coul
dcome from clip art and you wouldn't know.

loose the Gothic text for peterson sales etc, it's illegable, and gives
a too serious archaic feel to it. completely innapropriate IMHO. the
ship is in the wrong perspective for the picture, the jpg background
looks muddy due to low compression.
it also looks very fake and has no depth.

pick a controlled small pallette of colours and stick to them. like wise
pick 2 or 3 good complementary fonts and stick to them. make saure they
are simple and leggable. something plain for copy, a bit fancier for
headings etc.

lighten the site up. make it fun.

the frog loading animation is a good but unrelated concept. in it's
current form it looks like a cheap animation.

have some more movement in the site. animated rollovers etc.

i gather you're going to loose all the text links down the bottom?

maybe using the sailing theme but make it more light hearted. if you are
pushimng sales, then you would know sales is all about selling benefits,
improving people's life's. so maybe use a beach scene, a relaxed sailing
boat/raft? get a carefree feel happening. maybe even hammock and palm
trees, i dunno. but make it lively and make people feel good to be
there.

get yourself and easy to use menu near the top. don't make it rocket
science to navigate. keep the menu items as short as possible in
wording.

loose the guest book. it smacks of geocities etc sites, instead rename
it contact information or something. if you use tables, get rid of the
borders. they became daggy by 96. learn to use s p a c e and lining
stuff up in order to make it look neat.

so there you go

sorry if i was harsher than what you wanted, but hey, you're
professional, it's friday afternoon and you asked! Good luck.

Roger