Subject: Re: FLASH: linked buttons
From: dartfrogmedia
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 06:28:30 +0100

Hi Anthony,

At 06:57 PM 7/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>the button is a square. all 6 buttons are side by side on the stage. when
>you click one and drag over the one that is right next to it, I want that
to be
>the equivalent of the "drag over" function.
>
>the drag over function is when you click a button, drag out, then come back
>over it right?

Drag over simply means that the mouse is depressed while you drag over the
button from outside its hit area. No need to start inside the button, that
would be "press." Note you can assign as many events to an action as you
like -- for instance you could have On (Press, Release, Drag Out, Drag
Over), Go to and Play (etc.).

>well, what i want is to click a button, drag out of it and OVER another
>button and have it
>execute the same function as it would if you dragged over the original
>button you clicked..

Then the action you would want is "On Drag Out."

If the condition you want to set up is a mouse event sequence -- 1)Press
button A; 2)Drag over button B -- then you need a movie clip where
pressing A sends the clip to a frame where B has a new instance with the
instance action "On Drag Over, do such-and-such." That way the user must
follow the sequence or else button B doesn't have the same action as it
would if they dragged from A to B. I have a sound toggle that really works
like a toggle switch and uses this design; you must click on the toggle and
drag it to the other position. It's at http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/infokwik1.

>in other words, I want all the buttons to "be linked"...if i click one, its
>like I clicked all of them...

Well now I'm confused -- if you want a click on any button to be like a
click on all of them, why not make them one button with one hit area? The
Up, Over, and Down states can look like an array of buttons, but they can
all be part of the same button if they have the same action.

I have a feeling there's something you're not telling me :-)

>Thanks in advance and have a great 4th of July.

You, too!