Subject: FLASH: Tyro question
From: Bill
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:03:01 +0100

As a bitmap Shaman whose getting tired of file sizes and primitive 'animations', Im ready to turn to vector graphics. I joined this list for help (as suggested by MacroMedia)

Before investing money for software for both platforms I have a simple question I have been unable to get a straight answer for. I have seen many animations, but dont know if they are Shocks or Flashes,

What is the difference between Shockwave Interned Studio ($500)

and...

Flash 3 ???. ($280)

I an involved in a site which is offering information using a RPG (role-playing-game) paradigm. We have been using timelines, animated gifs over bitmapped graphics, MIDIs and behaviors a la Dreamweaver. The results are primitive (in my way of thinking, though others ooooh and ahhhh).

I need to have interactive animations with relative realistic looking backgrounds and moving parts (as opposed to cartoony looking) with clickable areas to attach behaviors or sounds and be able to send a client to various URLs depending on what is clicked as in an image map.

Which programs do I need: Shockwave or Flash or both?

Can one take a bitmapped graphic and turn it into a vector graphic that can be used in an animation?

Can a Flash or Shock file (I still dont know the difference) be put in a layer over another graphic?

Do my questions make any sense?

Thanks all,

Bill Blank

http://www.kernunnos.com
Ancient numismatics (Celtic); Pre-Christian Celtic studies
updated 5/2/99

Please visit http://druidry.org, OBOD's new website.
The OBOD Book and Music Store, http://druidry.org/library