Subject: Re: FLASH: Volume control
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:23:23 +0100

Hi Randy,

> I'm trying to make a volume control in flash. Well, the whole
> concept is some what eluding me. I've seen it on about 3 or so other
> flash sites, but I have never been able to understand how it was done.
> Does anybody know where a Tutorial is, or have any basic concept of
> this? If so please let me know.
See my 1998 Fouth of July Display
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Clock/

For effects such as the blasts above (there are actually 3 different
ones in the above movie) use Event sound no loop.
Just make a movie clip with 10 Sound frames with a stop frame in each.
Put an instance of each Sound in a each frmae with a label 10-100.

For Music you can't change the level on the fly. The best way is to have
loud, medium and soft settings, but you must stop the sound while
changing over.
If you need to use stream sound then I would use Load Movie and load a
different sound level version based on user preference (Louder, medium
and soft.

Then in each frame adjust the volume controls to get the right level of
sound attenuation for that level.

I use a separate Volume control movie and Tell Target to control the
sound movie so both the sound and actual control are modular and can be
changed easily.