Subject: FLASH: Get Property/Set Property with expressions
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 00:18:13 +0100

HI Folks,

I have a project with a number of movie clips, each of which gets it's
properties modified by the user. I want to keep track of the properties,
set one clip's properties equal to another one's, etc. It would be
efficient to be able to code things like:

Set Variable: "param2" = "_x"
Set Variable: "param3" = "_y"
Set Variable: "param4" = "_xscale"
Set Variable: "param5" = "_yscale"
Set Variable: "param6" = "_rotation"

and then use these with the Get Properties function in something like this:

Set Variable: "m" = "2"
Loop While (m <= param_num)
Set Variable: "new" = GetProperty (/clip1, Eval("param" & m ))
...other statements using "new"

Set Variable: "m" = "m+1"
End Loop

When I try this, I get an error message saying that GetProperty expects a
Property. Does this mean that I can't retrieve properties using
expressions, that there needs to be a separate GetProperty statement to
read each property explicitly?

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)