Subject: Re: FLASH: Now *this* is a heck of a site...
From: iNtRePiD
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:58:05 +0100

Ugh, Carlos, we all know about data compression, but that goes even two
steps further to make your argument moot. At 5.0 KB/sec, you are
transferring data at 300 KB/minute, so that 820 KB giant shouldn't take you
anything more than 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

If after all these possibilities, you are getting inconsistent data stream,
rolling into bottlenecks on your way, and stumbling upon "Server Busy"
messages every now and then, then I suggest you invest a bit more into
getting a good ISP and securing a faster connection. Getting so many hops
to that site might be an issue for you, but you have to realize that 90% of
the visitors to that particular site are still North American, without a
major concern for roundabout routes (not to mention that about 33,000 of
the North American Internet users now have a cable connection, excluding
the ISDN, DSL, T-1/3, and OC-x users).

Finally, believe it or not, even though you can compress the text files to
a high extent, a shockwave flash file is hardly any more compressible. With
the injection of MP3 export, it's just about next to impossible. As well,
SWF compresses the already "JPEGged" images to 50% the quality by default.

I personally have no problem whatsoever with an 800KB flash file, as long
as the website designer provides me with an option to skip it or choose an
alternative route to follow.

iNtRePiD