Subject: FLASH: Semi-OT: Re: General Scalable Consensus
From: P. Scot McIntosh
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:09:36 +0100

Here's my conclusion up front so that others don't have to wade thru my
explication below to find it: These days, I generally design for 800x600,
16-bit color, and feel fairly comfortable that most visitors can handle it.
I'll occasionally design a specific page for the 640x480 8-bit color format
if I want to make sure that even a visitor with a worst-case equipment suite
can easily use it.

Explication, for those who want it:
The stats I cited are from the site of a local construction association, so
I think the visitors are representative of the higher echelons in the member
companies. In my experience, these people tend to have among the worst
machines in their organizations, since they usually don't need anything
better and they're generally older and less technologically adept. Which is
not a criticism - they're very bottom-line oriented and recognize that
having the latest and greatest is frequently an unnecessary expense. We're
working on a site for a fairly large company whose president was running
Navigator 3 in 640x480 mode at 256 colors when we visited. It can make a
demo of your work a challenge. This experience is the norm for us, so we've
learned to ask what's being used and to bring along a laptop.

The visitors to the company sites that we've done have similar stats and
seem to be weighted toward people interested in either becoming
subcontractors, subcontracting out, or having something built. As such,
these visitors are typically executive level. The power-user types don't
come by too often, since these sites are essentially marketing tools. As
these sites become more sophisticated, with features like online Bid and
Proposal, and sections for collaboration between customers, contractors, and
subs on specific projects, we'll be seeing changes in the browser/display/OS
demographics, I'm sure.

An interesting phenomenon I've noticed is that people with recent-vintage
machines and decent-size monitors frequently have them set to 640x480 and
8-bit color. Sometimes it's because they just prefer the huge size of
things, but mostly it's because they're unaware that the other settings
exist. If I ever have to do community service, I'd like it to be to seek
these people out and teach them how to set their displays.