Subject: Re: FLASH: Mixing Flash 3 with Flash 4
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:00:46 +0100

At 10:56 AM 7/12/99, Sienna wrote:
> I'm not taking an F3 swf file and trying to finish it in 4; rather,
> i'm going to stop making the rest of the movies in 3 and use 4.
> Will the plug-ins for each type in the same website work?

You can successfully deliver to the exact same Flash 3 Players by saving
out as SWF3 files from the Flash 4 authoring tool.

This will remove any Flash4-specific features used in the file... you won't
be able to use MP3-style compression on long sounds, for instance... so
you're guaranteed that someone with an older player will see the same as
someone in a newer player.

(Even if you have a current Flash 4 Player in your own browser, if you save
out from F4 as a SWF3 file you'll see the same thing as someone with a
Flash 3 Player would. It's only when you save out as a SWF4 file that
you'll get the newer features.)

jd