Subject: FLASH: RE: Flash: FS Command BUG in Netscape?
From: Waldo Smeets
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:38:57 +0100

Hi john,

(back again...)
Hope you still have some time for this guy.... :-)

> Using the results of a compison instead of the original seems kind of
> silly and an extra problem when troubleshooting.

You're right, it was no nice scripting!

> Then put the function with the conditional in the head and now the
> function can be independently tested away from Flash and of course
will
> work the same whether called from Flash or not!!!!!!!!!

That's what i thought to, but look at
http://intensive.care.nl:81/flash_nl/index3.html
In that file i did the following:
1. Used no conditionals --> The same function is used for both IE and NS

2. Added an Alert() to see where the problem starts... if the alert
works, then the function is in every case called (as you also said)
3. Added normal links to test the script independently from Flash. I
used two links to test both functions.
4. Put the script in the HEAD

Results:
1. When calling the script from the normal links --> Everything works
2. When calling it from Flash --> The alert works, but the new window
won't appear.

So there IS a difference for NS when called from a link or from a Flash
file.
I thought that perhaps there was a problem for javascript to read the
args, so i deleted that and simply told which url to open.
See index3b.html, but that didn't help to. Still the alert() appeared,
but no new window.

Quite frustrating....

Giving it a new try i used your conditional scripting method and used

to give NS an other command. You can see this at index4.html
I only putted the email.html between "", cause else it would be a
variable, wouldn't it?
But somehow, when testing first the normal links, NS alerts "Unknown
file type". I'm testing locally, can then the MIME type be a problem? As
far as i know it can't, but i'm not sure.
All errors described before happen locally.

I also tryed email.htm instead of email.html, and document.open instead
of parent.document.open, but nothing helps.

The "prove" that NS handles the script different when called from Flash:
When you, in index4.html, click in the Flash movie on that infoatcare [dot] nl
link NS even crashes!!! (NS 4.6)
When you click the normal link, there's no crash, but that "Unknown..."
alert appears.

My conclusion is that netscape does something wrong. Can't we ask them
about this issue, and do you know how?

Wondering how you think about this.

Waldo