Subject: Re: FLASH: Generator and Flash3 Compliance
From: John Dowdell
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:24:23 +0100

At 9:23 AM 7/16/99, Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media wrote:
> Is Generator 100% Flash3 compliant?

Pretty much so... Generator 1 was designed against Flash 3, so there's a
pretty strict match. You can catch the exceptions at the "Top Technotes"
page on the Generator Developer Center at the Macromedia site:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/generator/technotes.html

(Non-English diacriticals can have problems... some data sources may use
reserved characters... these are the big non-server issues.)

> On a related theme, I authored these pieces in Flash4 (using only Flash3
> fetaures). When exporting from Flash4 into Flash3 format, are there any
> Flash3 features that folks have noticed not working quite right?

I haven't seen anything like this myself yet, Mark, but that doesn't mean
such a thing couldn't exist. But then again, the SWF file format is tagged,
so it seems like the SWF3 export would just not include pre-4 tags... the
way the file format is set up it seems like it'd be difficult to not strip
out newer features.

But the big question I'd have would be how you'd specify the templates and
all from the Flash 4 authoring tool... the Generator 1.0 extensions fit
into the Flash 3 application, and the upcoming Generator 2.0 tool will fit
into the Flash 4 app, but if you're in Flash 4 then you can't make
Generator templates right now.

I'm not sure of the workflow there, Marc (might be opening an older
template, might be reopening a file from F4 in F3, might be other)... would
it be possible for you to reinstall your Flash 3 app and download the
Generator design package from the Macromedia website? This would be a more
straightforward path than working on these movies in Flash 4. Might
something like this be appropriate there...?

jd