Subject: RE: FLASH: My .fla files keep screwing up . . .
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:00:52 +0100

At 04:32 PM 7/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>. . . it says "An unknown error occured while accessing (filename).
>>This hasn't happened untill I got flash 4, happening to anyone else?
>
>If you are still using the trial version of Flash and try to ofen an
>fla without opening Flash first, that is exactly the error you will
>get. You must always open your first fla session from within flash.

Sounds like my hunch that the Windows registry associates the Flash file
with Flash3 (which cannot recognize it) rather than Flash4. It would make
sense for the trial version not to change the .fla file extension
association to open with Flash4, but I'm sure it could be changed manually
through Windows Explorer->View->Options->File Types. Anybody running the
trial version want to try doing that and see if you can then start Flash4
by double-clicking a .fla file in Win Explorer?