Subject: FLASH: Frequently Asked Questions
From: Byer, Mark
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:40:58 +0100

To all,
Out of curiosity, I scanned through the previous month's messages, about
1500, to see what kinds of questions were being asked on this list. I was
interested in determining if this list warranted the production of a FAQ.
Keep in mind that my goal is NOT to reduce the amount of traffic on this
list, nor is it to "prevent dumb questions." In fact, what I discovered is
that the members of this list are very educated and professional in their
questions. (With a notable recent exception, but I left those messages out
too! :-D ) My goal was to see if we could be a little more efficient in
disseminating the kind of information people seek here.

Basically I ignored all replies focusing on initial thread messages. I also
attempted to quickly categorize the general question being asked in the
message. I ignored the messages requesting site checks (since a FAQ would
have no value there). I also ignored highly specific or technical questions
that would not be realistic for a FAQ. Some of the categories listed below
maybe could be combined into a single question/answer on the FAQ. Also, I
think there are some issues that pop up later in the thread such as the
question of mime or the like. But let's use this a starting point.

Here are my results:

# Question
---- -------------------------
10 Integrating Flash with HTML (backgrounds, resize, mime, etc.)
10 Variables in Flash (3 or 4, literal vs expression)
10 Migrating between Flash 3 and 4
8 FSCommand tutorial (or, how do I control one movie from another or
HTML?)
8 Browser detection
7 QuickTime (import and export)
7 Scenes
7 Event sounds vs streaming sounds (source requests, compression,
formats)
6 Online example sites & tutorials
6 3D in Flash (gradients, utilities, importing)
5 MP3
5 Navigator/Explorer Compatibility
5 Bitmaps in Flash
4 External communication (getting info in and out of Flash)
4 Creating loading animations (pre-loader sequences)
3 Buttons
3 Flash vs Director
3 Properties (getting and setting)
3 Text issues(stroking, rotating text fields, skewing)
3 Layers (visibility, loading into)
2 Flash Books, workshops etc.
2 Merging Flash files
2 Optimization (file size considerations, test movie, etc.)
2 Using Movie Clips (MCs)
2 Drag and drop (onto MC, onto guide)
1 Hidden code showing on web page
1 Fonts and graphics jaggy (Autohigh vs High)
1 Use of GetTimer
1 Menus
1 Background fade
1 Small line selection bug
1 Get rid of loading image browser displays
1 Frame rate
1 Right mouse button
1 Keep elements contained on stage
1 Flash Chat
1 Preventing looping of movie
1 Generator
1 Custom fonts in Flash (i.e. Fontographer)
1 Flash and ASP/ColdFusion
1 PNG
1 Drag and drop movie clips
1 Importing from Illustrator, Freehand, Photoshop etc.
1 Masks and masking techniques
1 Tweening along paths

At this point I'm not sure a FAQ is warranted. The questions really run the
gamut and I'm not sure but it would be more work than it's worth. But this
is interesting information anyway so I offer it to the list.

Take it for what it's worth!

-M-

P.S. Should we get a consensus to actually proceed with a FAQ, I will be the
first to step up to volunteer to assist in putting this together... any
others?

Mark Byer
Sr. Communications Analyst
Carlson Marketing Group