Subject: Re: FLASH: swf file
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 03:33:35 +0100

At 05:37 PM 7/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Creating a whole web site is tough. hehe I am on the planning stage and am
>not sure really if I should put a whole web site into one swf file with lots
>of different scenes on it or is there a better way to do this?
>
>Thanks for all the info
>
>Angie

Hi Angie and all,

There is nothing necessarily wrong with one large .swf. If it can be
designed to stream efficiently, it can be huge and there is no reason to
break it up into several movies. Using multiple movies loses the benefits
of one library shared by all of your Flash presentation. This can be a
large price to pay. On the other hand, if there are large blocks of content
that the user can request in unpredictable order, using Load Movie may be a
good idea and may be worth having to reload some symbols in different
movies. Used in this situation, Load Movie allows different parts of your
presentation to be played without necessarily loading all parts.

Put another way, load Movie should not be used as a substitute for careful
engineering of the content stream. Optimize your vectors, use symbols as
much as possible, use bandwidth profiler and output reports to trim things
down and to distribute content so that it streams smoothly.

Even a relatively small Flash movie can choke up without correct planning.
On a 28.8kbps modem, trying to playback more than 2k of new content per
second can exceed bandwidth and create a bottleneck. On a related note,
trying to accomplish too much animation at once (for example, animating
large-area bitmaps) will also create choppiness, even when the entire file
has been downloaded to memory. So the "long" answer is that Flash creation
requires lots of planning, testing, and optimizing.

It is not advisable to get into the habit of using scenes. Scene boundaries
force movie clips to reset to their first frame, and they interfere with
sound. Try to avoid relying on scenes. Keep your work well-organized with
plenty of labeled layers and frame labels as well, and you probably won't
even need scenes during authoring. If you really need scenes during
authoring, combine them into one scene prior to export.