Subject: Re: FLASH: price quote on flash animation?
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:10:24 +0100

To: flasheratchinwag [dot] com
Subject: Flasher Income & Market Realities

Reprint, by Elaine Woodhurst.,

Subject: Just to throw in here...
From: Brandon Hall

To: flasheratchinwag [dot] com

>Just to throw in here...
>
>I develop Flash for Fortune 1000 companies, I teach Flash to many of those
>same companies, and I develop training and other educational material at
>well... I am working on getting to 6 figures right now. Thats just how it
>is. Grant it, last week I was out getting piss ass drunk on my 21st
>birthday, but thats another issue entirely. I usually don't talk about the
>$ issues on the list, since largely I feel its none of anyones business,
but
>I would love to see the work that nets someone a cool mil a year, because
>personally I think its horseshit.
>
>-= Branden J. Hall

Hello Brandon,

>personally I think its horseshit.

No Brandon, this is coming from the horses mouth, not the other end.
;) Thanks for giving me a chuckle.

I'm very familiar with your work, and often in awe. You have shown
us many times how far this technology could be pushed, and have
inspired my work over the past couple of years.

I mention this because about a year ago, your action scripting
triggered me to realize that one can do something more than write
websites with Flash. Specifically, you can build *web-applications*.

Web-Apps are the future IMO, and signify the beginning of the next
generation of the web.

Most significantly, they are *products*. And this is *the key* to
the income thing.

Writing websites with Flash makes a lot of people a good living these
days. Often in the range of a fully degreed professional. Not bad
at all.

But there is a limit on what anyone can earn doing it because you are
trading straight labor for a pay check, and there are only so many
hours in the day. Also, hourly rates are driven by an industry
standard although some very talented people are able to exceed the
standard because their work indicates they are worth it. I believe
you fall into this category, Brandon.

At any rate, money is not the prime motivator for many people, and
that's fine. Money is not the only measuring stick for success. I
never said that it was. Success is a personal thing.

But there is indeed market opportunities now, and if you're a pro at
Flash, this window is open wide for you this year, assuming you can
handle a paradigm shift about the web and what it is becoming.

Independent thinkers, listen up....

Think *Web-Apps*. What's that?

Simply an application that runs on the web, preferably written in
Flash. It differs from the desktop apps that you use mainly in that
it is a *community* application, and runs from a server instead of
from your desktop, and the audience files stay on the server.

It is a program that is not marketed in the traditional way, ie.
boxes on store shelves, but instead there is one copy on a server
that everyone accesses. Lots of marketing problems go away with
Web-Apps, from distribution costs, instant POS satisfaction, to copy
protection, to knowing exactly who your audience is. And on, and on.

Some old-time programmers may recognize this as a circle back to the
days of mainframe - dumb terminal networks. I'm not here to debate
the merits of PCs over NCs, I'm just saying that with the way that
the web has evolved, the opportunity exists.

Larry Ellison is not entirely wrong about his network computer
theories, and his day will come, but keep in mind that he didn't
originate the idea either. A lot of people knew this was coming a
long time ago. But the stage changed in ways people didn't predict -
enter Flash-4. As Flashers, we have the advantage because we can
make a lot of this work in software, and we don't require people to
change their hardware- what's out there now will do just fine. So
we, because we are Flashers, can lead the way, today. And our system
is better, because the client's PC is in general a heck of a lot
faster and smarter than Larry's box, not to mention already
established in the market.

In regards to income, building websites is limited.
Building *products* is not.
Because you can market your *products* many times over.
If your web product is one that earns real money for the company you
sell it to, your price can be at a level that reflects that, as ours
are. It's a ROI thing, not a matter of development hours @ X/hr.
That doesn't even enter into the picture.
If your web product is one that earns real money, you also have the
option to operate it yourself, and keep *all* of the income.

But you have to be able to create a *hit*. That's what it's all
based on. Just like TV, the movies, and all that. The web is now
merging into that world. The bottom line is *If* your Flash Web-App
becomes a hit, you are set, and I'm not kidding. You have the
opportunity to create one, because you know Flash, so if I were you,
I'd get to know it a lot better. Two words, "Action Scripting".

There are two ways your Web-App generates income.

Either pay-for-play, or sponsorship / advertising. There are others,
but these two are the majors.
If your Web-App becomes popular enough, then the sponsorship dollars
come into play, and that's serious money. That's what built the TV
industry.

At Accesson, currently we're into internet gaming because it is a
sector that is proven to be very profitable. Web-based training is
the other one, and will become huge, I predict much larger than
e-commerce. Like a lot of people, I'm still waiting for Amazon.com
to actually earn a dime not to mention the thousands of others that
are hawking products over the net. That's not really where you want
to be.

But games aren't the only kind of Web-Apps. There are literally
thousands of possibilities. Just look around. Ask yourself "What
program would the audience pay for? or what would be really popular
program? -one that would build enough traffic that advertisers would
be interested in paying for it".

Your advantage is that Web-Apps are far *stickier* than your average
website, meaning that people spend a lot more time on them, and that
is of paramount importance to sponsorship revenue.

People, you hold in your hands the key to creating a successful
Web-Apps *now*. Flash is scriptable, and that's what it's all about,
baby! It makes it so that you can run real applications in the
browser. It works cross-platform, and it has incredible
distribution, a feat MacroMedia accomplished that is the envy of the
industry. You can write real web-based applications with it, which is
far more profitable than fancy websites.

I've proven it. BingoMagic is a game, and not everybody writes
games, but games are good because they push the technology and always
have.

Now look at what that Web-App is doing with Flash, and apply that to
your Web-App.
http://betaserver.metgames.com/permtest.html

It's handling hundreds of users at the same time, and that amount is
scaleable just by throwing more servers at it as the traffic grows.
It's saving client data. It's handling tons of variables. It's a
Flash Web-App that is giving a community experience. And it has
production values that blow away anything you can do in HTML or Java.

All the best,

/w

Wayne Townsend
Founder, CEO, AccessOn
waynetataccesson [dot] net
Alt: waynetatabsolute [dot] net
studio: 760.329.9990 (US)
Toll Free: 800..399.4969
cell: 760.902.5299 (US)
AccessOn.Net
http://www.accesson.net

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com