Subject: Re: FLASH: SWF to TV
From: Till Steinmetz
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:10:46 +0100

Hi,

>Can anyone tell me how to convert a SWF to mpeg format? I don't have the
>source - just the SWF. It will eventually be imported into an Avid system
>for video.

MPEG is not be the best solution if its going to be imported in an Avid.
What kind of Avid system is it? Media Composer on a Mac ? If you have a Mac
available you can get the AVID Software Codec from Avids website and export
the Flash movie with this codec. (import will be a lot faster)

1. Import the SWF into Flash, export it as AVI or MOV. If it's protected
get something like SWFbrowser to disable protection.

2. If it has a lot of interaction or movie clips, method 1. does not work.
Get a video card like the Matrox G400 Dualhead instead. These graphic cards
can clone the image from yout VGA monitor to a composite / s-video out.
Connect a Beta deck, a DV camera with analog-in or a VHS deck (if image
quality is not an issue).

General Tips:

Watch out not to have 1 Pixel horizontal lines. They will flicker like hell
due to interpolation on tv sets.
Watch out to stay in broadcast color space (no 100% saturation) and within
allowed luminance levels. Rent a vectorscope if this is important.
If you need the background to be transparent, only PNG sequence export will
correctly export an alpha channel. AVI and MOV have an option to export
"with alpha" but it doesnt work. After Effects can handle PNG sequences.
If you live in PAL country, the export size you need will be 720x576 pixel
(D1, like newer Avids and other new video like DV500, RT2000 cards have)
If it's for an old editing system it will be 768x576.

Till

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com