Subject: FLASH: Modifying Symbols Within .swfs?
From: Tobie Kerridge
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:09:54 +0100

Hi,

I have an idea which I'm trying to sort out. Areas of it I can do, some
parts I'm lost, so if you have a minute I'll step through the thing, with as
much as I know described...

There's a text file called "variablelist.txt" which sits next to my swf on a
server. The file has a few pairs of values and variables:
value1=orange
&value2=apple
&value3=banana
&value4=pear

And I get this in to my swf using this actionScript in the first frame:
Load Variables ("variablelist.txt", 0)

This makes the pairs available to other moveclips on level 0, and I want to
do a couple of things with them, which I can't figure out:
1. Count the number of pairs and give a variable to the integer
2. Generate x movie clips were x is the value of the new variable
3. Have each movieclip display one of the external values, not by setting
the value as the "variable" property of a text field, but somehow by
generating a symbol out of the value, which can scale and rotate for example
(it seems a textfield as symbol can't do this).

I imagine this will be done by setting up an action which loops x number of
times. Each loop will create a new instance of an MC, containing a symbol
which is somehow generated from the string of "value y", where y is
incremented each loop to evalute a different variable from the loaded text
file.

Can anyone help with this problem? I'm sure it could be useful to anyone who
wants to generate fresh content in their swf by simply editing a textfile?
You could extent the text file and the action of the loop to also pass each
MC other values, like URLs to be associated with the button action of the
dynamic symbol.

cheers

-------------------------------------
Tobie Kerridge
Mook

a: 116 Baker Street, London, W1M 1LB
w: http://www.mook.co.uk
e: tobieatmook [dot] co [dot] uk
t: 020 7959 1530 ex:395

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com