Subject: Re: FLASH: salary in SF
From: Remik
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:59:00 +0100

Well, you need to have a look at the map - Sacramento is about a 90 minute
drive east of San Francisco (make that 2-3 hours with traffic), and San
Diego it about 7 hours drive south of San Francisco, past Los Angeles. I
don't think commuting on a daily basis is an option from either of these
locations. If you can work from home most of the time and only go to the
office once a week or so, I'd say Sacramento may be an option because of its
cost of living, but you will need a car either way.

Pine street is right downtown San Francisco, so if you are not planning on
getting a car right away, your options as far as getting an apartment are
limited and will be very pricey. And there is no subway, and public
transportation is just about non-existant. This is not London (I used to
live there before too).

I can't speak for "all" Flash designers in the city - there are bound to be
bad ones just like there are good ones, but Balthaser seems like a good
company. I haven't seen too many of their designs, but from what I have
seen, they tend to be professional and have a nice look and feel to their
designs.

Gold and honey?.... The good thing is there's a lot of computer companies
in the San Francisco area, so finding a job is a non-issue if you have the
skills. The bad news is, well, you already know - the cost of living. Oh,
and the "abundant parking spaces" (very sarcastic). Expect to take a cab
just about everywhere, because parking your own car is a nightmare and will
cost you as much as $20/hour downtown.

Good luck with your new job!

Remik