Subject: RE: FLASH: SVG in Flash (5)?
From: Marco Fusaro
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:29:59 +0100

I would love to see Macromedia take the lead in the development of tools for
creating SVG. Right now Adobe seems to be in the forefront with Illustrator
9 being able to export SVG and from what I hear future versions of
LiveMotion will be able to export SVG animations as well. I saw a little of
it in a demo a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a great tool. Personally I
would rather use Flash, but I am very interested in the potential of the SVG
format. We are a ways away from really being able to use SVG on the web, but
Macromedia sure would do a lot to insure its success by giving future
versions of Flash the ability to export SVG animations.

Marco Fusaro

Well, Macromedia folks are on the W3C working group for the SVG 1.0 spec,
so there's measurable interest here. (We're not the reason SVG is so late,
though! ;-)

I haven't seen any published announcements about future version features,
but if SVG is important for people who use Flash, then it's naturally a
priority for the toolmakers too.

One thing I always ask in this thread is what you'd like to do with the
file format... this can help define what types of work would be useful to
prioritize. (For instance, I suspect that SVG as a file-exchange format
will be much more useful than as a playback format for the forseeable
future... this would get us away from the problems with proprietary
exchange formats like .AI files.)

If you'd care to drop a note saying what you hope to accomplish to
wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com, then that would directly reach the development
team, thanks. (Following up here on the list is fine too, of course.)

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com