Subject: Re: FLASH: pop up window with multiple frames.
From: Mark Sheppard
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:18:15 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hawkins" <tim [dot] hawkinsatuk [dot] easynet [dot] net>

> We have a problem, I have used the hidden frame method to produce a pop up
> window.
> This works fine with just 2 frames as specified in the colin moock
tutorial.
> (there may be a new and better way of doing it)
>
> The problem is when you put in addiltional frames in the main frameset it
> produces an error in the code, has anyone else noyiced , got an answer to,
> or alternatively got a fantastically simple error free cross browser and
> platform put your feet up and whatch it do it all for you method of doing
> it.

I don't have the best grasp on javascript, but I think it has something to
do with the parent.frames part of the script.
as you add frames you add to the parent frames.
I believe frames start at 0 so you'd want to incrememnt these up depending
on the number of additional frames you've added, and what number your
"blank.html" happens to be.
<relevent part of script>
parent.frames[1].location.replace("blank.html");
}
else
{
parent.frames[1].history.back();
</relevent>

Since I DON'T have the best grasp of js, and was changing the layout quite a
bit, I opted to workaround this by loading the flash page it's self as part
of another frameset within the main frameset..
err... uhh... how do I exlplain this...
I have a three page "Main frameset" (or ten frames, whatever). When I load
my flash content page where I want to use the popup it is actually another
frameset with the two frames required in the mook tutorial.

does this make sense?
I confused my self, but it does work: )
Mark Sheppard
AKA Zachnefein
zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com