Subject: Re: FLASH: Business Practice
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:57:39 +0100

Cheri Harder wrote:

> Theoretically, if a development firm creates a database that will be used for many web sites with various Flash and non-Flash front-ends, is the structure of the database something that the firm should divulge to the client? I am arguing with myself on this one. On the one hand, it is part of the application and as such, belongs to the developer. On the other hand, the data that will initiallly populate that database might be better input by an export/import routine. This routine would necessitate the knowledge by someone of the structure of both databases, so somebody must divulge the information, right?
>
> I'm thinking that the structure itself ought to be released to the customer....any thoughts?

Hi Cheri,

I agree that they should have it. It would be helpful for them to know
that you've got all the right information in the database (at least I've
found that so for customers of mine in the past), the import/export
sounds like something they need, and it isn't giving away the store for
you. (It's all that asp you wrote to control the database that adds
value, imo, and that they probably don't need to have).

Helen
helen triolo � http://i-technica.com � 301-424-6037
Flash Q&A archive � http://i-technica.com/flashlist

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com