Subject: Re: FLASH:Psuedo 3D effect question + F5 wish
From: gabriel
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:46:39 +0100

>Thanks Gabriel,
>
>I'm still not quite getting it though, or maybe we're not talking about
>the same thing. What I'm thinking about is getting something to display
>'on top' of other things, in other words bringing something to the
>foreground so it covers/overlaps what's 'behind' it. I don't see how you
>can achieve this with variables alone since there's no way to dynamically
>change the layer of a MC. Are we talking about the same effect?
>
>-Randy

yes, we are talkink about the same thing, maybe Brandens explanation
is better :

>There is another way.. involving placing all of your objects into one MC,
>and placing multiple copies of this MC on teh stage... all you have to do
>then is move them around and change what object they are displaying.
>
>-= Branden J. Hall

if an object is the first in Z order, its displayed by the clip on the
the highest level ( for example level#10),
if it is the second in Z order, its displayed by the clip on
the second highest level ( f.e. level#9 ),
if it is the last one, its displayed by the clip on the lowest level

You dont have to remove and re-duplicate any mc's for this.

again, it was just an assumption that duplicating mcs takes up much time,
for i noticed a heavy delay in the frame where i first set up
all the mc's

I think I'll try the _deleting_and_rebuilding_all_ method the next time,
Brandens chemistry example seems to be really fast
( and i think he uses a faster sorting-algo, too )

sorry for the confusion

__gabriel

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com