Subject: RE: FLASH: windows scroll bar?
From: Brack, Jeremy
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:03:16 +0100

Thanks for responding!
Someone else suggested Mooks website and I used his sample.. (which uses a
variation of the Content.maxscroll code you list below)
the Mook scroller works really well for about 3 paragraphs of text. I mean
almost identical to the speed of a pure windows scroll bar..
but when I try to add in like say 20 paragraphs... the Flash movie bogs down
the performance of your entire PC when you try to click on one of the scroll
buttons inside Flash.. think of like 5 seconds per frame of animation..
thats painfully slow..
and I am on an NT machine with a PIII 450 CPU, 256MB of RAM, and a nice 16MB
Voodoo 3000 video card.
My company has MM Generator, so I may just see if the Generator scroller
works..

Otherwise, does anyone know of another way to make Flash scroll large
quantities of text without slowing down the entire computer?
I think it might just be beyond the abilities of Flash 4. Another
alternative I may use is to break up the page, with Flash navigation on the
left and HTML text on the right.. (yuck)

thanks again,

Jeremy