Subject: Re: FLASH: RAM Alotted to Flash [OT]
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:01:55 +0100

On 7/21/00 7:52 AM Mountain Time, Helen Triolo via
designerati-technica [dot] com, said:

>Do you really have to worry about all
>that er, fillintheblank, to get Flash to run on a Mac?

No, not typically at all. If it were the case, we'd see "Why is Flash
getting OOM errors?" everyday on this list, rather than the once every
three or four months.

Very occasionally someone runs their poor Mac into the dirt, or tries to
overstuff it with too many files on too little space; it takes but five
minutes to fix such things, most of the time. (not counting the
Dot-Oh-My! versions of MMware that have bugs to be resolved; but that's
true on any platform)

If one takes an extra few minutes to properly configure the Mac for Flash
and graphics design in general, such errors are almost assuredly not
going to happen at all.
<http://sciencequest.org/support/computers/mac/config.html>

And, not to start the inevitable flame war (he says while knowing there's
nothing to stop it if he posts this portion), but the Mac is ultimately
easier to maintain, configure and restore in the event the worst happens.
Our Macs, for example, have what we call 'Cascade Systems' (free with
every Mac), which will kick in automatically or may be selected if
anything goes wonky or all-out catastrophy strikes; allowing the
would-otherwise-be-frustrated artist� to simply Restart to a perfectly
fresh System and keep working, then let the IT staff come fix things
after the project ships. Most of the same Macs also have a fully
automated reapir/restore script such that 99% of the time, one mouse
click prevents the need for an IT at all.

Go ahead, order that rippin' tearin' Dual G4-500 Processor Mac; I'll show
you how to set it up, and you can see what AltiVec really does for Flash
and related work. Then when OS X and Flash 5 roll along in a couple
months, you'll really tear it up.

I'm rewriting the Apple Buyer's Guide right now; we always do a special
section for application/task-specific configurations; and this time
around we're going to make it free to the public, rather than charge for
it as part of our consultancy fees. I'll post the URL when it's ready.

Cheers

Frederico

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com