Subject: Re: FLASH: Now you can talk about Flash 5?
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:21:57 +0100

Hi Jefferis -

You asked some pretty indepth questions. I can't answer them too in-depth
(I'm on the road at the moment) but here's a bit.

> 1. The new action scripting is javascript based or compatible. But the
> mention of 3D effects is obscure. Question: what are the 3D effects
> included as drag and drop type items?

There haven't been any 3D objects mentioned for Flash 5. There are
simulations (imported 3D models, imports from 3D SWF-bearing apps, FH9's
perspective grid and SWF export) but Flash 5 does not do native 3D, either
via authoring or via actionscript.

That said, the new trig functions (filed under the "Math" object) will help
people pull off the crazy, high end 3D simulation with a bit more ease.
Plus, now that code is text-based, it will be easier to find samples that
are simple cut and paste jobs. Very tidy and quick.

> a) how hard is Generator to learn
> b) does Generator have to be loaded onto your server, and if so, do you
> need to host the server yourself to take full advantage of it?

I don't feel Generator is that hard to learn. It's a subjective question
that other developers can help answer.

And you do need a server to actually *serve* Gen content in a live fashion.
If you don't control your server, you may need to ask your ISP if they do or
plan to support the Generator server package, which needs to be installed on
the place that you'd host your SWT files.

That said, there are other uses of Generator that aren't server-based, such
as "offline" Generator, which you can use on Windows to batch-process your
SWTs before uploading to your non-Gen-powered server, if necessary.

Matt
Macromedia
Flash Community Manager

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com