Subject: FLASH: Huge music files in flash
From: Todd Ashworth
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:10:57 +0100

Let me start off by saying I'm a ColdFusion developer by trade and don't
deal with graphics/animations/multimedia stuffs very often. Well, for some
reason, the powers that be have decided that ColdFusion also includes Flash
.... um, ok. Anyway, now I have this minor Flash project and I have no clue
what I'm doing. I'm hoping someon can really help me out here.

I have an approx. 60 second video clip that I want to turn into a flash
movie. No problem so far. I broke the movie into about 1500 frames and
imported them all in. It all works just fine. The problem is that the
person I am doing this for wants a song to play while the little movie is
playing. I'm not talking about a small loop here, they want an entire 3 1/2
minute song!

Problem 1. The wav file is huge! Thank goodness Flass compresses it to MP3
Problem 2. The song is longer than the video clip. When the video clip
reaches its end, it restarts. When it does, it starts a new instance of the
song which playes over top of the first instance .. very ugly sounding.

So .. I get the bright idea of splitting them up. The video animation and
the sound clip in seperate Flash files are, in total, smaller than the
combined files originaly. As a result, the video clip loads and plays
*much* faster. The problem is that the music clip won't stream with the
video like it did when the files were combined. Instead, the web page waits
until the *entire* music Flash movie thingy loads before it starts playing
the music. In the meantime, the video is playing and it all looks rather
silly.

Does anyone know how I can get the video and music to start playing at or
very near the same time, but remain independant of each other in terms of
starting and stopping times, etc.?

I'm sure I'm making a huge mess, so any help is appreciated.

Todd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com