Subject: Re: FLASH: Any reason NOT to use Flash?
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:34:41 +0100

Hi Bonnie,

If this is for recertification or essential education, and the users need
to access the online course, I would not worry about the plug-in being a
deterrent, whether it's the 4meg AW plug in or the 200k Flash plug-in. I am
sure a mechanic could follow instructions on how to install the plug-in. I
would be more concerned with content download speed (an argument in favor
of Flash), playback speed (how many users are still on 486's?) and monitor
size/resolution (which is something you could accomodate in your design). I
worked on a demo training program for the Army Corps of Engineers that was
trashed because 1) their machines were antiquated and 2) my client feared
that their network administrators would balk at installing the plug-in
(their firewall would not allow individuals to install it themselves).

So, bottom-line would be do they have the equipment to play Flash. If the
answer is yers,the other essential question would be, do they have the
incentive to wait for downloads. If this is, for instance, a convenient way
for them to earn recertification by GM, then that question is taken care of.

-Marc Hoffman

At 08:58 AM 6/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have the opportunity to bid on a BIG job -- training tens of thousands of
>mechanics nationwide. Details on content remains a mystery, but the plan is
>downloadable modules that the individuals can run off the hard drive. Let's
>assume that the topic is -- Troubleshooting the Electrical System of the 1999
>Widgetmobile. My theory is that we want to use Flash to echo a gaming
>environment, which is the only computer experience that many of these
>high-school
>educated older workers MIGHT have. (Have to be compliant with MSIE and NN
>4.0 or
>justify a plug-in.) They are nervous about animation because of bandwidth
>me another reason to use Flash. Any reason not to use Flash? (I will be back
>asking for subcontractors if I get the bid.) Any other Flashes of brilliance
>about how to make this the best bid?
>
>Bonnie Bucqueroux

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.