Subject: Re: FLASH: need solution for disappearing buttons trick
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:06:53 +0100

At 08:58 AM 6/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Maybe I am misunderstanding your advice.
>
>"Your Off button hit area is comprised of your On button." Do you mean
>that I can't use the same symbol for both? It sounds like you mention in
>the following thought that you CAN use the same symbol.

The Hit area is a particular frame within the button. It shows up in symbol
edit mode and defines the area over which the mouse will be active. You
should not use a button to define the Hit area. If you go into symbol edit
for your off button, and select the graphic in the Hit frame, you will see
that the graphic is a button. This is what I'm talking about. The simplest
fix is to break that graphic into a circle and outline, and delete the
outline, using ctrl-B. Then the Hit graphic will no longer be a button.

It is fine to make a symbol that is not a button but is simply a graphic
and contains a solid circular fill, and you can drag this into a button in
symbol edit mode and use it for the Hit area. You can use the same graphic
symbol for different buttons.

It is also fine to use the library's "copy symbol" function to make a copy
of a button (or any symbol) and then make revisions to the copy for use in
different circumstances.

Lastly, it is fine to use multiple instances of the same button, dragging
it from the library to various places on the stage and/or timeline.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.