Subject: Re: FLASH: Instances Corrupting Files?
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:17:13 +0100

Hi Hal,

> Can too many instances of a symbol corrupt your file?
There might be a limit butI haven't hit it.
My Christmas 97 movie has over 700 button instances. I have some now
with over 1000 buttons.

> We're working on an events calendar in Flash. Each day of the month has to
> be a button. We're dropping in 30 instances of the same blank button onto
> the stage for EACH of five months (each one will TellTarget a specific MC),
> but Flash starts crapping out. Worse than that, it crashes and makes the
> file irretrievable.
> Another time it happened on a brick wall: one brick symbol repeated a bunch
> o' times. Flash corrupted the file.
> I'm sensing a pattern here and want to ask the experts.
You can add any number of invible (or visible) instances of buttons as
long as they have hit areas. I heard a report of problems of buttons
without hit areas but don't recall what the symtoms were, but buttons
without hit areas are useless anyway and can't function as buttons, so
if that is what you are doing don't do it.