Subject: Re: FLASH: smooth animation
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:15:08 +0100

At 11:48 PM 6/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Please go to http://www.anthonyfaust.com/ and click the enter button. I
>remember someone saying that the animation was sluggish. I preloaded the
>whole movie and made good use of symbols to make the movie 95k.
>
>I'm especially interested in the lines animating in the beginning. Any tips
>on how I can optimitize this animation?

Hi Anthony,

I think it looks fine and doesn't really need further optimization. I
would, however, start some of the movie streaming before it is 100% loaded.
Use Bandwidth Profiler and Generate Size Report to identify how mmuch
content needs to preload in order for the animation to run smoothly at 28k
modem connections (figure 2k per second of download).

By the way, I found it confusing that you had a caption "view the non-Flash
site" right next to an "Enter" link; it looked as if they were the same,
which they are not. And your non-Flash link may as well be outside the
Flash movie, don't you think?

Your fixed movie size may make the small text hard to read on a 14" or 15"
monitor set to 800x600 resolution.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.