Subject: Re: FLASH: News, Sports, Weather template using Flash
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:06:50 +0100

At 8:39 PM 6/29/99, Sienna wrote:
> I have a new contract that requires my shockwave site to pull real
> time news, weather and sports data from another program...
> My job is to come up with a system that both our ppl and the news
> channel can edit each day.

If this is actually a Shockwave site, then a simple "getNetText()" call to
the server can retrieve updated text at any time.

If you're looking for a format in which to transfer the data, then XML can
be useful... your content providers can use a simple XML editor to identify
the various structural parts of their content, and Shockwave's XML parser
can quickly change this updated information to a normal property list.
(Using XML as the structure would put you in a good position for future
automated news feeds.)

If you're actually using Flash rather than Shockwave, though, then Flash 4
has the advantage in being able to modify its own text at runtime. With
Flash 3 you'd need to use serverside generation of new SWFs.

One of the advantages of the Macromedia Generator is that it's tuned for
full business use, with high-volume around-the-clock operation. There are
tutorials in the Generator Support Center about integrating Generator with
Allaire's ColdFusion and with Microsoft's Active Server.

Not sure if any of the above is on-topic to what you're seeking, though...
if I'm not looking at the right part of the problem then please advise,
thanks.

jd