Subject: Re: FLASH: Barney's Underglass effect?
From: Lachlan Hope MacKinven
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:33:47 +0100

Hi Jeff
The techniques used, or at least one way I see of accomplishing this. [there
is often a quicker, easier, more efficient method you come accross after the
fact]

1 Import your large and aestheticly pleaseing bitmap image [A guy and a
girls face cut off below eye level in the case of Barneys]Preferably this
should be an image in which the left and the right hand images match up if
they are butted up against each other [so it can loop indefinately]This is
difficult to achieve with a photo, but if you make a photo collage in
Photoshop [or similar] you could, for example, make the left and right edges
of the image fade to the same color.

2 Make the image a graphic symbol so that you can use the INSTANCE controls
to adjust the colour tint [ie: shades of red for B's][This is not completly
neccesary as INSTANCE can be adjusted later, but it does give you slightly
more scope for effect, HOWEVER: it is important to make the graphic a symbol
to keep file size down]

3 Make another symbol, a MovieClip, and put your graphic symbol into the
MovieClip.

4 Place the GraphicSymbol[your bitmap from step one] so that it is aligned
to the left hand side of your Flash Movie, The Image should be at least
TWICE the width of your Movie [ie: the Movie Dimensions default of 550*400
would require your image to be 1100px wide] this is so you can achieve the
effect of continuity when looping.
Once image is aligned half of it should poke way off the right hand side of
your flash movie [the bit the viewer sees]

5 In your MovieClip put a keyframe way down the timeline on your Graphic
Layer. In this keyframe realign the graphic symbol so that it is aligned to
the Right hand side and half of it is sticking out the LEFT hand side of the
viewable movie.

6 Now motion tween between these frames to get the image scrolling accross
the viewable area.

NOW!!!

7 Duplicate this Symbol a number of times in your library

layer.

9 In the first Keyframe of the layer mask draw a filled rectangle which
spans at least the vertical height of the Guy/Girl picture. Horizontally
make it as wide as you want your pieces of glass [referring to Barneys]
For Example:If your image is 1100px wide Try making a mask that is mabey
50-100Px wide.
This mask shows the area of the scrolling Image that you will see when you
place the MovieClip in your main Movie.
Add another keyframe to the mask layer at the same point as the second
keyframe of the Graphic layer.

10. Now adjust the INSTANCE of the Graphic Image and tint it red [or you can
adjust the INSTANCE of the movieclip when it is placed in your main movie.]
If you do it now you will have to adjust the instance at both of you two
keyframes and make them the same otherwise it will tween your colours as
well.

11 Now go back to your other MovieClip Duplicates and repeat from step 8 the
Masking process, making sure you mask the next movie clip so it roughly
matches up with the edge of where you masked the last Duplicate [roughly
matching is good, a little gap or overlap will give the refraction effect]
Make sure you Duplicate enough Movieclip symbols to Cover the whole screen.
Work your way accross.

Finally

12 Go EDIT>MOVIE and put you Movieclips in on different layers Line them up
in the Movie so that they but up against each other. MODIFY>INSTANCE and
tint them shades of whatever and change Alpha channel [Transparency] for
each MovieClip if you havn't already done it to the Graphic within the Clip.

Now test your movie, It should have the desired effect. Because we made the
image at least twice the width of the viewable movie, when it gets to the
end of its tween it will loop and continuity will be preserved.

Lachlan MacKinven
Art Director
Chimera Creative