Subject: RE: FLASH: dynamic modify mask?
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:50:11 +0100

Hi Brad-

You wrote:

>Do MCs used as masks also just use the first frame?

Yes, this is true.

>Since the MCs acts as a grapcis, do you loose the frame actions?

Yes. Actions aren't supposed to go inside Graphic symbol frames - since
these timelines can't be given instance names, they can't be properly
targeted.

Essentially, to create the mask effect, the Flash program takes symbols that
reside in a mask layer, converts them to Graphic symbols, and uses the first
frame and bottom layer as the masking area.

I think that it's quite natural to expect Flash to preserve all of the
attributes of Movie Clips to mask content - from a design point of view,
this would be awesome! Unfortunately, high-level engineering issues are
probably what prevents us from creating this kind of mask in Flash. The
masks in Flash are essentially good for static pieces; making them appear
animated or "dynamic" would require trickier techniques, for which I'd love
to hear people's input on.

This is a limit of the program that really hasn't been well documented. The
TechNote is there, but perhaps it should have been described in the book as
well.

If people feel strongly about having dynamic masks, or having changes to the
way Flash makes masks, please go ahead and make that request to the Flash
team at wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com. Sure, there are no guarantees of
anything, but this is one big way to make sure the team hears your feedback.

Matt

Matt Wobensmith
Macromedia

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com